Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] Kubuntu panel clock disappeared

On 11/13/2011 04:52 AM, Duncan wrote:
Larry Alkoff posted on Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:54:29 -0600 as excerpted:

My wife and I am running Kubuntu 10.04 and she has done something and
her normal KDE clock is gone missing.

How can we get it back?

First, tho it shouldn't matter for this question, for future reference,
please include the kde version number as well, since those of us not
running kubuntu generally have little idea what particular version of kde
shipped with each kubuntu release.  10.04 was some time back, so
presumably you're running an earlier kde4 version, perhaps 4.5.x or
4.4.x, unless you upgraded it somewhere along the line.

In kde4, each little component or widget that can be placed on the
desktop or in a panel is called a plasmoid.  This is because the desktop
is called plasma, and these are little pieces of it.  As in science,
little bits of plasma are called plasmoids, =:^) Among the types of
plasmoid are several types of clocks, one of which you no doubt had
showing, but it got removed.  However, they're easy enough to add back
when you know how.

The desktop is normally locked so plasmoids can't be accidentally messed
up, so the first thing you need to do is unlock the desktop.  This can be
done a couple different ways.  The easiest is often to context (normally,
right) click on a clear spot on the desktop and choose "unlock widgets".
Alternatively, find the little "cashew", aka "toolbox, normally located
at a corner of the desktop, click it, and again choose unlock widgets.

Now, you need to find and add the proper clock plasmoid (aka widget) back
into the proper place.  Around kde 4.5 they changed the way the add-
widget dialog worked, and I don't know whether you're still using the old
way or are using the newer way.  However, the same thing is done to get
the dialog.  With widgets unlocked, again click the toolbox or right-
click the desktop and choose add widgets.

The old way had a dialog with a bunch of plasmoids to choose from, the
new way has a strip that appears, again with a bunch of plasmoids.  If
you like, you can choose a category to narrow things down.  In this case,
the category is date and time.

I'm guessing you want digital clock.  Analog clock can be nice too, and
there's some other choices there to try if you want.

You can add a selection in two different ways.  I like to drag the
plasmoid I want to where I want it and drop it.  The other way is to
simply double-click on your selection, and it'll appear on either the
panel or the desktop, depending on where you originally selected add
widgets from.  However, the automatic placement can be a bit
inconvenient, so I prefer to drag the one I want where I want it, and
drop.

Once in place, if the plasmoid is on the desktop, hovering over it will
produce a floating toolbar that you can use for moving, sizing,
configuring, and removing, as desired.  On a panel the plasmoids work a
bit differently.  You can right-click them and select configure or
remove, or to move them, click the panel cashew/toolbox or right-click on
the panel and select panel settings, and when the toolbar for resizing
the panel appears, hovering over a plasmoid in the panel will change the
pointer to a 4-way arrow, indicating that you can now drag it where you
want it.  Either way, you may wish to configure your new clock, changing
its display, etc.

Once you get the plasmoids all rearranged as you want, don't forget to
lock widgets again, so you (or she) doesn't accidentally remove it or
drag it elsewhere once again.

For further information on plasma see the following URL.  In particular,
down towards the bottom under further information, there's a link to
"Plasma HowTo's -- short screencasts" that could be quite helpful if you
need more than words.  They're even version specific, so you can choose
the one appropriate to your specific kde version. =:^)

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

Thank you Duncan for your detailed information.
I've been using various versions of Kubuntu for at least 10 years
but there are apparently a lot of holes in my knowledge.

I always run the LTS version so I am in Kubuntu 10.04.3 LTS.
I have no idea how to find the version of kde I am running.
Please tell me how to find it.

I see how to unlock widgets and in fact I have been running with widgets for some time. I'll change this to locked on my wife's computer but for right now I am trying this on my own computer. For now, widgets are unlocked on my computer.

Right clicking on my desktop gives me a strip with many items.

I see 5 items that have to do with clock.
They are:  analog clock,  binary clock, calendar, fuzzy clock and timer.
I _think_ I'm using the analog clock which has the time (05:10 pm) in the upper half and date (Sun 13 Nov) on the lower half.

It's different on my wife's computer.
Clicking the analog clock gives me a large round clock on the desktop or a digital display in a box on the desktop. I have noticed that she has Kubuntu 10.04.2 LTS which is different from my 10.04.3. I have loaded the analog clock but only on the Desktop - for some reason I cannot drag it to the task bar. I don't know how she got different action since our computers are nearly identical.

Wife tells me that she touched or swiped the clock about a year ago
and the clock disappeared.

When you tell me how to ascertain the KDE version I might be able to get a better handle on the problem.

Again thanks for your interest and help. You sound knowledgeable enough that between us we can solve the problem.

Larry