Web lists-archives.com

[kde-linux] kdeinit: shutting down after setting HOME

In Red Hat Linux 5:

I want to be able to dynamically reset HOME, as in HOME=newHOME; export HOME. After I do this, when I execute Kate I get

·        kdeinit: shutting down running client

On exit from Kate I get:

·        kborlddsy coca running (?)

·        reusing existing ksycoca

·        DCOP Cleaning up dead connections

·        Kwrited – listing on device /dev/pts/

After the kdeinit message I can no longer start KDE applications (the terminal and etc.). I think that the kdeinit message is the issue. Resetting HOME to its original value has no effect.

(Other than looking at the documentation and the archives) I have insured that KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde is set correctly and that ~/.kde exists and has the correct subdirectories and configuration files (a direct copy from the original working directory). I’ve run, and I’ve looked at the Kate User Manual to make sure that my setups are correct. I’m lost. Any idea what’s wrong and how to fix it?