Web lists-archives.com

Re: Are KDE applications extensible with Javascript like Plasma is?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 5:41 PM Christopher Patti <feoh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am after understanding in a general sense how KDE applications can be extended at runtime. Are there particular Qt classes that enable this?
>
> Let me ask a more concrete question that may be easier to answer - can you give me an example of a KDE app that's extensilble?
>
> Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.
>
> -Chris
>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:57 PM Christopher Patti <feoh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all. I hope you'll forgive a potentially ignorant question, but I'm curious about something that confuses a lot of people.
> > >
> > > I'd love to be able to 'script' KDE applications at runtime.
> > >
> > > It *looks* like you can do this at least with the Plasma desktop using Javascript:
> > >
> > > https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaDesktopScripting
> > >
> > > Is it possible to do something similar with KDE apps as well?
> > >
> > > Thanks for tolerating a newbie question.
> >
> > Hi Christopher,
> > Some applications can be extended using JavaScript, but not every application.
> >
> > What are you after?
> > Aleix

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qjsengine.html

There's many components that can be extended through QML (which is a
superset of JS) or just JS.

Examples would be Plasma, KWin, ki18n, Discover, GCompris and a big
etcetera. essentially every application for Plasma Mobile or Android.

Aleix