Web lists-archives.com

Re: Updating the Framework apidocs part 1: fixing the presentation

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 4:11 PM Olivier Churlaud <olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm the one who is supposed to be in charge of api.kde.org and specially kapidox, the program that generate the website.

I changed a lot of things in the past 5 years to make it more modern and usable. Of course there is still plenty to do, but I don't have the time to do it anymore. I still have the backlog though.

Thank you so much for all you've done! I'm hoping we can get some more people
interested in joining. On that note, do we have any guide on something like building
and hosting the apidocs locally? More for testing stylesheets and formatting rather
just generating the apidocs for speciic frameworks? Maybe I can start a different email
thread if that'll take too long, or maybe we can talk on IRC or Matrix?

- finish the design overhaul (it's already responsive design!!) : there are some bugs that you spotted that we should fix and we might want to use the kde.org colors and theme.

Would it be possible to switch the ECM apidocs to a bluer theme? Presuming
we have bizstyle installed, that is. I can file a bug report for that though I think
it'd have to be filed under ECM.

I worked some times ago on the wiki as well. The goals were the following :
- everything community related should be in community.kde.org. It's an internal wiki for people who contribute or want to.
- techbase should be the entry point for external devs to our products. So we should keep a product oriented structure, and for each product, have links to the website if it exists (for example kdevelop.org), give mailing list à d bug trackers info etc. The tutorials could be moved under the relevant products. And they should be simplified to the use of a given framework on top of Qt, instead of all the kf5 stack. Having the whole KF5 stack let people think it's a all or nothing approach, like in the kde4 time, which is not.

I'm also considering a proposal about the wikis. It's a bit confusing in terms of messaging as well as structure.
But it's something we've been struggling with since the days of Techbase. But that's for another email this week. ;)

And as already said, I think tutorial should move to the repos so that they can be linked to in the api website and copied and compiled for easier onboarding.

I can definitely see the advantages of this approach. It also helps makes sure tutorials
are up-to-date and that we can check its version history better than on the wiki. It would
be great if it were possible to just pull the code automatically from git and embed it directly
into a wiki page so that we can still have the code live git but have formatted text, longer
explanations, and possibly discussions on the wiki. Hopefully, the www people can chime in.

--
Regards,

Juan Carlos Torres
Jucato