Web lists-archives.com

Re: KDE Developer Documentation Support update

Hi Juan Carlos,

Le mercredi 27 mars 2019, 14:03:54 CET Juan Carlos Torres a écrit :
> Greetings KDE Community!
>
> I'm Juan Carlos Torres (Jucato on IRC) and I've recently been hired as a
> contractor to get the ball rolling on updating our developer documentation.
> Over the years, our community has produced an incredible wealth of
> knowledge that now needs our attention and love. While the job description
> focuses on new contributors, improving the documentation can benefit even
> KDE veterans.
>
> I made a cursory survey of what I considered to be four important areas:
>
> 1. https://kde.org/develop - where most will probably start their search
> (if they didn't use Google)
> 2. https://api.kde.org/frameworks/index.html - the building blocks of all
> KDE software
> 3. https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials - where most of our
> tutorials still live

I started porting some tutorials to the  repos where they belongs as examples (for instance KWallet (https://phabricator.kde.org/D14955) and KMessageBox (https://phabricator.kde.org/D14957).

In my opinion the tutorials should be all ported to their repos so that we are always sure they compile and are up-to-date. And the tutorial pages can thus be removed or archived.
Another bonus is that the examples can be referred to in the apidox at api.kde.org by adding  \snippet  keywords...

> 4. https://community.kde.org - various pages like
> https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development, or project-specific
> ones like https://community.kde.org/Plasma
>
> These present opportunities where we can make a significant impact just by
> updating tutorials or ensuring the apidocs meet the library documentation
> policy or having Project pages that contain information newcomers need to
> quickly become part of the team.
>
> This is something anyone and everyone can be involved in and I'm looking
> forward to making this journey with the community I've grown up with for 13
> years now. Over the next few days, I will be knocking on some developers'
> and teams' doors to get your input and feedback on how we can work together
> towards this common goal.
>
> Let's make KDE rock not just for its software and for its community but
> also for having first-class developer documentation for new and old
> developers alike!

Cheers
Olivier