Web lists-archives.com

weird KDE printing Problem

Hello Mailinglist!

I wrote this topic already to another mailinglist and asked some of my freinds. But no one seems to have the faintest idea what could cause this problem or how to track it down. So maybe someone of you can help?

I have 2 HP Color Laserjets attached to the LAN. (192.168.1.131 and 192.168.1.132)

Now "lpoptions -p CP3525 -l" reports:

  HPCollateSupported/Collation in Printer: True288 *False288
  HPOption_500_Sheet_Feeder_Tray3/Tray 3: *True False
  HPOption_Duplexer/Duplex Unit: *True False
  HPOption_Disk/Printer Disk: True *False
  HPOption_PaperPolicy/Paper Matching: *Prompt Scale Crop
  HPServicesWeb/Services on the Web: *SupportAndTroubleshooting ProductManuals ColorPrintingAccessUsage OrderSupplies ShowMeHow
  HPServicesUtility/Device Maintenance: *DeviceAndSuppliesStatus
  Resolution/Printer Resolution: 600dpi *1200dpi
  PageSize/Page Size: Letter Legal Executive HalfLetter w612h936 4x6 5x7 5x8 *A4 A5 A6 RA4 B5 B6 W283H425 w553h765 w522h737 w558h774 DoublePostcard Postcard Env10 Env9 EnvMonarch EnvISOB5   EnvC5 EnvC6 EnvDL Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT
  InputSlot/Paper Source: *Auto Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Tray1_Man
  Duplex/2-Sided Printing: None *DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
  Collate/Collate: True *False
  HPRotate180/Rotate Page 180 deg: *False True
  MirrorPrint/Mirror Image: True *False
  MediaType/Media Type: *Unspecified Plain HPColorLaserMatte105 CardGlossy176220 ExtraHeavyGlossy131175 HPPremiumChoiceMatte120 HPColorLaserBrochureMatte160 HPSuperiorLaserMatte160 HPCoverMatte200g HPMattePhoto200 HPPresentationSoftGloss120 HPProfessionalSoftGloss120 HPPresentationGlossy130g HPProfessionalLaserGlossy130g HPColorLaserBrochureGlossy160 HPSuperiorLaserGlossy160 HPCLaserPhotoGlossy220 Light6074 MidWeight96110 Heavy111130 ExtraHeavy131175 Cardstock176220 MidWTGlossy96110 HeavyGlossy111130 ColorLaserTransparency Labels Letterhead Envelope Preprinted Prepunched Colored Bond Recycled Rough HPToughPaper OpaqueFilm
  HPCMYKInks/CMYK Inks: *DefaultCMYK_Plus SWOP Euro DIC CustomProfile
  HPTextNeutralGrays/Text Neutral Grays: *Black ProcessBlack
  HPTextHalftone/Text Halftone: Smooth *Detail
  HPTextRGB/Text RGB Color: sRGB ImageOptimization Adobe *VividSRGB None CustomProfile
  HPGraphicsNeutralGrays/Graphics Neutral Grays: *Black ProcessBlack
  HPGraphicsHalftone/Graphics Halftone: Smooth *Detail
  HPGraphicsRGB/Graphics RGB Color: *sRGB ImageOptimization Adobe VividSRGB None CustomProfile
  HPPhotoNeutralGrays/Photo Neutral Grays: Black *ProcessBlack
  HPPhotoHalftone/Photo Halftone: Smooth *Detail
  HPPhotoRGB/Photo RGB Color: *sRGB ImageOptimization Adobe VividSRGB None CustomProfile
  HPEdgeControl/Edge Control: Off Light *Normal Max
  ColorModel/Print Color as Gray: Gray *CMYK

since "lpoptions -p M476 -l" reports basically the same, I omit it's output...

Both printers are loaded with A4 sized paper and the PageSize option above reports an "*" in front of A4 Asking CUPS via it's web-interface it reports "Einstellungen: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=two-sided-long-edge"  (same for the 2nd printer)

printing a CUPS test-page produces a correctly scaled output
If I send, for example, a test pdf with lpr to the printer ("lpr -P CP3525 test.pdf") it produces a correctly scaled output.

So the printing subsystem looks like correctly working

But since the last OS upgrade from openSuse 42.2 to 42.3 I have a problem with printing from KDE Apps.

KWrite reports: Version 17.04.2, KDE Frameworks 5.32.0, Qt 5.6.2

When printing from a KDE App, (tested with kwrite, kate, okular, gwenview), both printers are reported to have "US Letter" sized paper loaded and the output is scaled down to fit on a Letter-sized sheet. Changing the papersize from Letter to A4 in the printer properties dialog is ignored and makes no difference.

Has someone of you an idea how I could hunt this problem? I have no idea where I could start searching..

Norbert