Web lists-archives.com

Re: Plasma5 user sessions

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 9:37 PM, Max Harmathy <max.harmathy@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 15.01.2018 um 20:07 schrieb Kai Uwe Broulik:
Hi,
Thanks for your replay
We found out, that running a process with a systemd inhibitor as root e.g

# systemd-inhibit --what=shutdown --mode=block sleep 365d
Try mode "delay", this will temporarily delay the action until you release
your inhibition. Typically used for certain cleanup tasks, like disconnecting
the network, before sending the computer to sleep but according to
documentation this works also for "shutdown" command. Check out the Logind
inhibition documentation [1].
Sadly the mode "delay" is no option: since there is a globally set timeout for any delay, which is per default set to 5 sec and can be changed in /etc/systemd/logind.conf by setting InhibitDelayMaxSec. Setting this to a very high value would probably mean a high risk of breaking other uses cases (set to sleep?).

Another Problem is, that in order to prevent the system from being shutdown the inhibitor has to be set by root (or at least by a different user than the dbus command is sent). In my opinion this is a implementation flaw in systemd and contradicts some uses cases listed at the beginning of https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit

At this point it would be extremely complicated to use inhibitors to achieve our goal. The only way would be a system daemon which sets a block inhibitor for shutdown and watches all user sessions and releases the inhibitor only if there is no user session running. This would however render the shutdown button in plasma useless.

As for the warning when shutting down with multiple users, I  that might be an
SDDM limitation/bug/missing feature.
Probably this is how KDM worked with utmp or ConsoleKit before. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the old days the user session would always reuse the x-server from the display manager. So naturally when the user session ends the display manager would naturally regain control.

But now the kdisplaymanager code send messages to logind via dbus, which then just killes the session. Any code after the comment in "startkde":
> #Anything after here is logout/shutdown
is definitely
not executed on shutdown.

Right, that's definitely changed. In the old days, KDE would ask the DisplayManager to terminate us, now we have these daemons that manage sessions that we talk to directly.

---

As for us checking for other sessions and prompting the user, we probably should do that. We have the code available.

----

For running scripts on shutdown

Anything in

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/plasma-workspace/shutdown and executable will be run blocking in alphabetical order and run until completed before we actually execute the shutdown/logout.

(make sure you have 1dc7f11692a4096b9815ae24f7be9cec10f8f7a5 in plasma-workspace)

You should be able to sync there.

----

You can't cancel logout from within that. If you need to, there is one (quirky) option.

When a user shuts down, ksmserver goes round every GUI client asking what to do. For example if you have a text editor with unsaved changed for example it till give you a prompt. It will pause, whilst it's prompting the user and will cancel shutdown/logout if the user presses cancel.

You could implement a (hidden) app that does the same.

David