Web lists-archives.com

Re: Baloo is not dead, it just smells a little funny

Hello,
I've been lurking arout for a while finding a place to start contributing to KDE, and this might be the project I was lurking for :)
I'm fairly experienced in C++ and Qt, but not KDE, so I _might_ be useful. Just point me to the right place(s).

Cheers,
Alexander

31.01.2018 18:43, Michael Heidelbach пише:

Hi!

Let me introduce myself first. When I started contributing to KDE with the beginning of this year this was the status:

  • No experience in C++ at all
  • Wtr coding: No experience in collaboration and the technologies involved
  • No experience in many other things
  • Good _javascript_ knowledge
  • Hobby developer

since then:

  • arcanist hater (that's reciprocal)

That did not keep me from being active: 14 commits this month.

To the point. Baloo:
I think baloo is fantastic! I'm a heavy user of metadata to organize my media (audio, video, ebooks) and I love how it integrates into the desktop.
As a result I know many of the kinks of the packages involved and want to improve them. Baloo is in the centre of it.
The "low hanging fruit"-phase will soon be over for me. Very soon I'm going to really tackle the bear (why is baloo called baloo anyway?). That is challenging. Time to roll-up my sleeves. BUT! Neither can I nor do I want to do this alone. Currently there are only 2 (two) regular committers to baloo, James Smith and me.

Sadly baloo has no maintainer. I would take on that task if were more experienced, but for now that wouldn't be reasonable and also would issue a wrong message. I intend do it when I feel ready for it and it still is a necessity.

"The bear must live". This is a non-exhaustive list of things I need in the meantime:

  • Reviewers. Many of my submits for baloo have been lingering on for days without reaction. (OK, I'm impatient. But please don't make poking on #kde-devel a regular element of my workflow.)
  • Critique! I want you to look at my code and be harsh with it.
  • Guidance. Old code, new code, styles, dependencies ... KDE code is like a jungle to me. In coding I usually learn best by looking how others have done it, analyze and adapt or adopt. With KDE code that often times doesn't work out for me.  E.g. I haven't been able to derive rules for string handling "otto", 'otto', QStringWhatEver("otto") or what? Or CMakeFiles: a horror! Also testing strategies, very diverse...

There is no critique inherent to this list, not at all. You are helpful!

The list of what I want is not really a list:

  • @Community Admins: Baloo project page?

So here's my plea:

If you are an experienced C++-programmer and know the KDE code-base well, please watch the things the two of us doing for baloo, criticize me, and first of all: become a reviewer for the requests targeted at baloo or baloo-widgets, please! Help me keep the pace!

Thank you for reading all this,

Michael