Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is it bad manners to refactor other people's code?

Am 2018-01-25 18:45, schrieb Michael Heidelbach:
Hi!

Currently I'm working on some code I couldn't understand until I split
some long functions into smaller parts.

As I couldn't find anything about the size-of-a-function topic in the
KDE or Qt guide lines I consider this as a matter of personal taste.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, so my question is: Should I
submit the refactored code as a review request or - now that I
understand what is going on - weave my changes into the original code?
And what do you think about this in general?

If I would have been afraid of refactoring other peoples code, we would not have a Wayland port :-)

I think if the code is in your opinion an improvement: go for it and open a review request.

Cheers
Martin