Web lists-archives.com

Re: KDE and Google Summer of Code 2018

Hi, Valorie!

I have just edited the list of Krita ideas, now we have 8 ideas, 4 of which are low-hanging fruits with localized optimizations of the code. I hope that will help people who do not want to learn all half-million lines of Krita code.

Speaking truly, I think I understand why there is so little effort from people with the ideas. Since the last year Google forbids students to apply more than 2 times, it means that most of the applicants will be newcomers and, most probably, they will not be able to prepare some extensive proposal/design for a project. It is just too difficult to prepare a good proposal for a project so big in size. So it might be that the quality of last year proposals discouraged people from doing this work again.

The only way how we can solve the issue is to prepare very scope-limited tasks, such that the students would not need to learn all the code (in our case we just added AVX optimizations, which are limited to a scope of a couple of classes). But that is not always possible or makes sense for the some projects.