Web lists-archives.com

Re: Looking for mentor for new KDE developer

Christian Gerloff - 04.01.18, 16:30:
> On 01/04/2018 03:35 PM, Nate Graham wrote:
> > Thanks for taking the initiative here! Would you consider using your
> > talents to work on Gwenview instead of KuickShow? Gwenview is similarly
> > unmaintained and in need of a new maintainer, but already using KF5 and
> > more commonly used today. It might be better to standardize on a single
> > image viewer to make sure we can have one really solid offering rather
> > than diluting our limited resources among two that as a result both are
> > crying out for more attention.
[…]
> Not "instead of", no. I've been using KuickShow for many years now as my
> primary image viewer while I've used Gwenview only sporadically. If I
> absolutely had to choose between the two, I'd choose KuickShow.
> To be honest, I mostly did the port of KuickShow for myself at first. I
> didn't think there would be any more interest in KuickShow from the KDE
> team, because it looked completely abandoned.
>
> However, that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to work on Gwenview as
> well. But I haven't yet looked at its code or open tickets to get an
> idea about its current state. I've actually thought (since it seems to
> be *the* publicly supported image viewer of KDE) that it doesn't have a
> shortage in manpower.
> But I really have to take a deeper look at it first, before I can commit
> to it.

I wonder about the main differences between Gwenview and Kuickshow? What is it
that makes you prefer Kuickshow over Gwenview? Is Kuickshow simpler? I
sometimes felt a bit lost on Gwenview.

Could how Gwenview and Kuickshow work be two modes of the same application /
library?

Thanks,
--
Martin