Web lists-archives.com

Re: Looking for mentor for new KDE developer

On 01/04/2018 03:35 PM, Nate Graham wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> Thanks for taking the initiative here! Would you consider using your
> talents to work on Gwenview instead of KuickShow? Gwenview is similarly
> unmaintained and in need of a new maintainer, but already using KF5 and
> more commonly used today. It might be better to standardize on a single
> image viewer to make sure we can have one really solid offering rather
> than diluting our limited resources among two that as a result both are
> crying out for more attention.
>
> Nate

Hello Nate,

Not "instead of", no. I've been using KuickShow for many years now as my
primary image viewer while I've used Gwenview only sporadically. If I
absolutely had to choose between the two, I'd choose KuickShow.
To be honest, I mostly did the port of KuickShow for myself at first. I
didn't think there would be any more interest in KuickShow from the KDE
team, because it looked completely abandoned.

However, that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to work on Gwenview as
well. But I haven't yet looked at its code or open tickets to get an
idea about its current state. I've actually thought (since it seems to
be *the* publicly supported image viewer of KDE) that it doesn't have a
shortage in manpower.
But I really have to take a deeper look at it first, before I can commit
to it.