Web lists-archives.com

Re: Looking for mentor for new KDE developer

On 01/04/2018 03:59 PM, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> El 4 ene. 2018, a la(s) 11:29, Dominik Haumann <dhaumann@xxxxxxx> escribió:
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Christian Gerloff <chrgerloff@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I've recently ported the unmaintained KDE application "KuickShow" to KDE
>>> 5 and plan to at least keep it working in the forseeable future.
>>> In order to get a KDE developer account to maintain the application on
>>> the KDE infrastructure, it was suggested that I first find a mentor in
>>> case I have questions about infrastructure, development workflows,
>>> translations and so on.
>>>
>>> Would anyone be willing to do that?
>>
>> My very personal opinion on that is:
>> Given you ported KuickShow to KDE Frameworks 5, it
>> seems to me that you already find your way around quite
>> nicely. Also given the fact that you are writing to this mailing
>> list shows that you know where to find help.
>> My take on this is: Ask the KDE sysadmins to turn your
>> KDE identity account into a developer account, add yourself to
>> the kderelicensecheck.pl script [1], [2], and just do your work.
>
> He did ask sysadmins to get developer access, and we suggested he gets a mentor here first. We always prefer to have someone who is already part of the community "approve" the developer account request.
>
> In addition, translations would need to be imported into our infrastructure, or recovered from our SVN history. That needs intervention by our i18n experts, possibly before the code is imported.

I've imported the translation files along with the source code into the
new git repo (into the directories po/$LC and doc-translations/$LC), at
least for the master branch. The KDE 3.x branches didn't have any
separate translation files.

If anyone is curious, I've put the git repo on GitHub until the question
about where the project is hosted is resolved:
https://github.com/chrgerloff/KuickShow
I also still have the rules file that I've used for the svn2git-tool,
and I could provide that as a starting point if you feel a new import is
necessary.