Web lists-archives.com

Deploy Weblate/Pootle system for translation

Dear developers,

I am from Chinese localization team. Recently, we meet some new contributors and they are not so skilled with SVN. This let me to think how we can make translation process easier.

Mozilla has its own online translation system. LibreOffice uses Pootle. openSUSE project uses Weblate. A lot of other projects use Transifex or Crowdin. These system are well designed. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can start to contribute. All discussions are open. It enable different opinions to display and avoid arbitrary.

However, our SVN is stopping people from contributing. Not only techniques but also transparency. When here are some disagreement on specific translation, usually those who have SVN commit permission can choose the option they prefer. Sometimes it is disappointing.

So I strongly suggest to make KDE's own online translation platform. And I would like to know ideas from other contributors.

Thanks!

--
Guo Yunhe
Aalto University