Web lists-archives.com

Re: Will code for mentorship (I need a mentor for GSoC)

Hi Pali, thanks again for your help.

I hope you are right and this may help me find a mentor. The two project ideas from Kopete that caught my interest are the jabber message archive and the improvements to the chat history.

AFAIK, the chat history situation in Kopete is not very nice. There are two different plugins available, but improvements are yet necessary. Their API are messy, their graphical interface is cluttered, their offline data is unprotected and other issues are present. I was told another student failed in delivering this project, but I'm confident I can do it.

The jabber message archive seems more interesting to me, even though it seems a bigger task. This is because I have used XMPP and have missed history synchronization between clients, a feature that is basic in other messaging software. I took some time to read some of the two protocol extensions, and I'm very interested to implement them. I myself work with implementing server to server exchange protocols in my day job.

I hope this can help me introducing myself and the ideas.

Best,
Paulo Lieuthier

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:17 AM Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 25 March 2017 21:30:54 Paulo Lieuthier wrote:
> Hello KDE devs,
>
> I am a brazillian student of CS, interested in working on Kopete in GSoC. I
> was also interested last year, sent a few patches [1] and wrote two nice
> proposals [2][3]. Problem being there was no mentor available for me and my
> proposals were rejected. The ideas for which I proposed are listed again
> this year, and I will be proposing for them again.
>
> I am very familiar to C++ and Qt, having sent other small patches to
> KWindowSystem [1] and worked on LXQt for more than a year as a core
> developer [4]. That is to say I probably don't need a full-time mentor, but
> someone to ask for some help, if needed be.
>
> Please, be my mentor or point me to someone. :)
>
> Best,
> Paulo Lieuthier
>
> [1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/users/paulolieuthier/
> [2]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10l5kIePsN69Amvk9I1WYLsU3nuReVZzvtp1fyVIV22E/edit?usp=sharing
> [3]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xbVpStkpaqqY_xAaaz8tikl8burhIGEo9ffoAjLcHko/edit?usp=sharing
> [4]
> https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aclosed+is%3Apr+user%3Alxde+author%3Apaulolieuthier+

Hi Paulo! If you are interested in working on Kopete as GSoC project,
then you should first choose and ideally describe in which project you
are interested. This could help other people decide if to mentor your
project...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx