Web lists-archives.com

GSoC Project Proposal: Make High-DPI awesome

Hello fellow developers. I’m a student at the Technical University of Vienna in Austria and would love to participate in the upcoming Google Summer of Code. I have already talked about this proposal on IRC, but now I want to present the full document (continuously updated version at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-SmazZh7Ut3dKppI-Q02SnezoNOL_tz0uVM_GGEDWEw/edit?usp=sharing):

Project title: Make High-DPI awesome

Abstract

As seen on Blog Posts on Planet KDE[1] support for High-DPI monitors has come a long way since Plasma 5.0. And thanks to the work by many dedicated people[2] the situation in Plasma is now almost ideal. But unfortunately, this is not the case for all KDE applications. Support for HiDPI seems to be more of a hit-and-miss for some of them, many crucial for day-to-day workflows (like Okular and Gwenview). Competing desktop environments have nowadays a nearly perfect HiDPI support, so I think it is time to face the remaining problems once and for all.

Therefore I suggest the following approach:

Proposal Timeline

Before May 30 (Before official coding begin)

May 30 – June 30 (Phase 1)

June 30 – July 28 (Phase 2)

July 28 – August 29 (Final phase)

Outcome

After my project is finished, users will have a more polished user experience with HiDPI screens out of the box. Base KDE apps will no longer show any rendering problems when drawn on a 4K screen.

About me

I’m a 24 year old computer science student at the Technical University of Vienna. Besides previous tiny patches to KDE-related software (e.g. [3]) I gained experience with Qt while developing software for smart interactive displays (like the ones you see in museums) written in C++/Qt and QML. Further programming experience of mine is in Python and Java. My study term lasts until end of June, so it will overlap partly with the GSoC. I took fewer courses this semester, so there won’t be any time problems with coding. I also work part-time at an IT operating company which is specialized in Big Data and Cloud Services, but cleared time for the intended 30hrs/week I will spend on working for the project. I have no plan to write a proposal for any other organization.

[1] http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2016/07/hidpi-in-kde-plasma/ [2] http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/high_dpi_again [3] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/101065/

I have set up a complete KDE development environment using kdesrc-build and am currently in the process of writing a patch for #373178 – Blurry scaling on HiDPI for gwenview.

I know this project covers many different parts of KDE – frameworks, applications and possibly the workspace too. Is there somebody who thinks this is a good idea and is willing to mentor it?

I’m looking also forward to any feedback you have about this proposal. If you think that there is not a high chance that this project will get selected, please tell me and I will choose another one from the GSoC 2017 Ideas List.

Greetings, Lukas Hetzenecker