Web lists-archives.com

Re: As Google Code-in ends, time to plan for Google Summer of Code

Well, I can only speak about my experience.
The page https://community.kde.org/GSoC is good, and I think that is a good start. When I submitted my proposal las year at Umbrello, I did start to get to know Umbrello code before it. And get to know the code is, for me, a required step to get accepted on that project, otherwise when GSoC starts the student may lose valuable time on that. Also, search for a project and a mentor is a good step too.
I know that all of GSoC students do a review about the Community and that the Community can access it, however, maybe we can do a pool on #kde-gsoc about it, with a deep questioning about all the experience involving GSoC, of former students and the ones that have interesting to apply for 2017. That can help us to define a better standards to follow.
Well, that is just my ideas... I'm open to discussing it.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've just finished preparing the new Ideas page for 2017:
> https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2017/Ideas
>
> It is basically the same as every other year, and has no previous
> ideas on it. If you or your project plan to present a former idea
> again, click on the 2016 Ideas link, and copy/paste it into the 2017
> page as soon as possible.
>
> Of course, new ideas are welcome as well, as long as there are mentors
> available. We'll remove ideas with no mentor listed. Please ensure
> that there is contact information for each mentor.

Sorry for replying to myself again, but I just heard an excellent idea
on #gsoc - pictures! Terri said, "lots of code doesn't need it, but if
you're writing code for a visualizer? an image analyzer?  graphing
software? a game?"

I think a few screenshots where appropriate would spice up our Ideas
page quite a bit. I'm going to add it as an optional part to our
suggested format for Ideas.

> *Please* do no maintain a separate Ideas page which you present to
> students. We need one central place for Ideas, and rules and
> guidelines as well.
>
> Speaking of guidelines: please read over
> https://community.kde.org/GSoC and see what you think. We've tried to
> clarify the language and make our general expectations clear, as we
> think being upfront about our standards is one way to get better
> proposals and better students.

I'm serious about the above request. We need to all be on the same
page about the quality of work we expect, and that includes
communication from the students.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez