Web lists-archives.com

Re: Tray icon by system_tray_request_dock protocol

On Wednesday 23 November 2016 16:38:50 David Edmundson wrote:
> Note, that we consider embedded trays legacy, and instead support the
> modern protocol:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/
>
> For best results, mseide should use that.
> You'll get better results in Unity too.

I implemented DBus support in MSEgui.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/StatusNotifierWatcher/
states:
"
There will be a single org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierWatcher service instance
registered on the session but at any given time.
"
On KDE there seems to be no "org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierWatcher" service,
there is "org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher" which looks similar. Does every
desktop environment use its own service name?

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/StatusNotifierItem/
lists several "New*" signals. It seems that StatusNotifierHost
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/StatusNotifierHost/
doesn't listen on "org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem" signals, it listens
on "org.kde.StatusNotifierItem" interface. Is this correct?

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/StatusNotifierItem/
states:
"
Each application can register an arbitrary number of Status Notifier Items by
registering on the session bus the service
org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem-PID-ID, where PID is the process id of the
application and ID is an arbitrary numeric unique identifier between
different instances registered by the same application.
"
Is this true? It seems that other applications use the "Unique DBus name"
(example ":1.12") only or service names which don't obey the naming rule.

What do you recommend?

Thanks, Martin