Web lists-archives.com

Re: KDE/Qt Flatpak SDK/Runtime

Hi Matthias,
Really happy to see there's interest!

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a developer of QGIS [1] which makes heavy use of Qt libraries. I was
> very happy to see the work on a KDE flatpak repository which already
> packages Qt [2].
>
> I have recently been looking into a couple of different approaches to
> ship app bundles and flatpak sounds like a very interesting one.
>
> To not duplicate work I would like to ask if there is interest for a
> collaboration. In particular, for our needs:
>
>  * We require the QtLocation module. Are there plans for adding this?
>    I will be happy to share a trivial patch that adds this.
In general I'd say that this possibly should be part of the
application, now Qt's cmake scripts have a limitation where they all
need to be in the same prefix. Because of how Flatpak is put together,
this means it needs to be in the runtime, if you have a patch please
send it my way.

>  * We also require other components which are closely related to Qt:
>    Qt Cryptographic Architecture (QCA), QWT, QScintilla, PyQt5, would
>    you be interested in integrating them into this repository as well?

Few applications need this, I would recommend to get these into the
application. I know it feels a bit arbitrary, but I wouldn't want to
get all the dependencies in there, since we'd also lose the grip on
what we're offering as well.

At the moment what we're putting is Qt, KDE Frameworks and few bits to
integrate visually with Plasma.
I guess that there's few additional things that could be included, I
also see value in 3rd parties using our runtime, but I don't really
want the runtime to grow beyond usefulness. (I don't know about many
KDE applications using QWT or QScintilla).

Often it's more about just copying the recipes from one application in
another, that's in part why I took the initial approach of getting all
recipes in the same repository.
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=flatpak-kde-applications.git&a=tree

Aleix