Web lists-archives.com

License header for test code also required

Hi all,

umbrello supports code import for several compiler languages. To
increase the code quality we are adding test code fragments to git
source to motivate developers to use them for unit tests. The fragments
looks like

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=umbrello.git&a=blob&h=ee1411a1bfaa0c0376b4fff28d45b9867cf2c053&hb=13a513d629e86e8cc98d750f1d9e5741bbc8791a&f=test%2Fimport%2Fcxx%2Fcxx11-alternative-function-syntax.h

// https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11#Alternative_function_syntax

// #1
template<class Lhs, class Rhs>
  auto adding_func(const Lhs &lhs, const Rhs &rhs) -> decltype(lhs+rhs) {return lhs + rhs;}

// #2
struct SomeStruct  {
    auto func_name(int x, int y) -> int;
};

auto SomeStruct::func_name(int x, int y) -> int {
    return x + y;
}

In the given example
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use#7._Licensing_of_Content states:

"...When you re-use or re-distribute a text page developed by the
Wikimedia community, you agree to attribute the authors in any of the
following fashions: Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the
page or pages that you are re-using (since each page has a history page
that lists all authors and editors);"

Because the fragment contains a link to the related source it looks okay
from my non-layers perspective.

On adding such test code I got an email about unknown license at
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/umbrello-devel/2016-September/020362.html. From
the related page https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy I
got the impression that this rule applies to real code compiled into a
library or application. Is refering to the original source also okay in
relation to this KDE license policy ?

Regards
 Ralf