Re: Review Request 128738: Quote all prefix search values, if operator is = or :.
- Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:40:54 -0000
- From: James Smith <smithjd15@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Review Request 128738: Quote all prefix search values, if operator is = or :.
|This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128738/|
On September 4th, 2016, 9:25 a.m. UTC, Vishesh Handa wrote:
This breaks the default behavior of searching and makes it hard to reason what is going on.
baloosearch 'tag:Death Fire'and
baloosearch tag:Death Firenow yield different results since "Fire" is considered part of the tag in the first query.
I would rather not ship this.
'tag:Death Fire' and tag:Death Fire are invalid (or poorly-written and poorly intended) resolves, tag:\"Death Fire\" is an equivalent for the first query. Or, for the second, tag="Death" OR tag="Fire" would return matches for both tags. The use of prefix and operators jargon is near-mandatory for good results, and conjunctory statements are sometimes required; similarly consistent parsing cultivates a much better understanding of how to obtain optimal search results.
The biggest annoyance that this patch fixes is the lack of results from searching for a tag with a space immediately following a successful search for a tag with no spaces and no escaped quotes. e.g.
tag="Water" or tag=Water : has matches tag="Death Water" or tag=Death Water : no matches. Requirement to abandon existing "working" syntax, forced to write tag=/"Death Water/".
Noticeably this is not an intuitive behaviour.
On August 24th, 2016, 3:26 p.m. UTC, James Smith wrote:
Review request for Baloo and Vishesh Handa.
By James Smith.
Updated Aug. 24, 2016, 3:26 p.m.
- Prev by Date: Re: Review Request 128665: Nested tags for Baloo Widgets
- Next by Date: Re: Review Request 128664: Nested tags for Baloo
- Previous by thread: Re: Review Request 128738: Quote all prefix search values, if operator is = or :.
- Next by thread: Outstanding umbrello tarball move request