Web lists-archives.com

Re: The situation of KWallet, and what to do about it?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07.07.2016 19:50, Kevin Ottens wrote:
There's two sides to that problem in fact, use from applications and the
service provided by our workspace.

I think that for applications the answer is neither KSecretService nor
KWallet, etc. For the goal of making it easier for our applications to be
shipped on more platforms, what we want in fact is to port them away from
anything platform specific to something like QtKeyChain:
https://inqlude.org/libraries/qtkeychain.html

This way, the actual storage becomes a workspace decision. That could keep
being KWallet if improved, or KSecretService, or a simple D-Bus service
wrapping libsecret... For sure it would at least simplify things on the
KWallet/KSecretService side, they wouldn't need to be frameworks anymore
(QtKeyChain or equivalent would play that role) just to expose a D-Bus API
(likely the Secret Service one in the end).

Oh, indeed, that would absolutely make sense! Deploying and using applications which use KWallet outside of Plasma must be a pain right now.

So how do we make that happen? Deprecate the KWallet framework and recommend to use QtKeyChain instead, and then in parallel decide which bakcend to use for QtKeyChain in Plasma?

I don't get that. How is deprecating KWallet paves the way to make something new with QtKeyChain? As far as i can tell, QtKeyChain isn't a keychain at all, it's a wrapper around platform specific keychains that provides a unified interface for keychain functionality. It itself doesn't implement a keychain (or it does on windows?).

Or do you mean deprecating/removing the *graphical* KWallet part and re-implementing that in top of QtKeyChain?

Using QtKeyChain would be interesting imho. Specially if that itself is extended to use other web backends as keychain.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/secret-storage-spec/secrets-> api-0.1.html

0.1 being outdated, you probably want to link that one:
https://standards.freedesktop.org/secret-service/

Ah yes, indeed.

Hope that somewhat made sense and helps.

It made sense to me at least :)