Web lists-archives.com

Re: Separating in-source translations from */messages into own */srcmessages (or similar)

El divendres, 17 de juny de 2016, a les 12:30:00 CEST, Luigi Toscano va
escriure:
> On Friday 17 of June 2016 12:10:41 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > PROBLEM: garbage po and mo files in packages
> >
> > currently many of the scripts used for creating release tarballs of KDE
> > software accidentally also add those po files to the tarballs whose
> > translations are already fed back directly into the sources by scripty
> > (with data files like appdata, desktop, json, or mimetype.xml). So
> > strings which will never be loaded from an external mo or qm catalog.
> >
> > Those po files then also end up in the binary packages as mo files given
> > the generic handling of po files during builds. Do this to see how much
> > of those unneeded mo files you might have yourself on your system:
> >
> > du -ch `find /usr/share/locale \
> >
> >     -name "*appdata.mo" -o \
> >     -name "*mimetypes.mo" -o \
> >     -name "desktop_*.mo" -o \
> >     -name "json_*.mo"`
> >
> > which for me reports in total 43M.
> >
> > find ... | wc -l
> >
> > is 186 here.
> >
> > Problem is that many people are not aware of all the different data file
> > types which scripty cares for, and i18n in general is more seen as "magic
> > which just works (mostly)" (well, shows the great work of the KDE i18n
> > team
> >
> > :) ). And the number of such file types is rising now and then, just all
> >
> > the different release scripts ("official" and home-grown) are not keeping
> > up.
>
> If someone writes a new release script, then the issues and requirements
> should be known.
>
> I still fail to see why we need tons of release scripts. Let's fix the 3
> more used (sysadmin/release-tools.git for Frameworks and Applications,
> releaseme for Plasma and others, and create_tarball_kf5) and make sure that
> people are using them instead of reinventing the wheel.

How do you fix them though, i just had a look at what we do in the
Applications script and we just delete all files named desktop_*

Which i guess up to now is good enough but i would sayi it's impossible for
Plasma to ever come up with a name for a catalog named "desktop_controller" or
something.

If we increase those catch all we'll eventually end up hitting one that
matches and have a hard time figuring out why it broke.

Maybe one of the ways to fix this is "fordidding" non autogenerated names to
have an underscore?

Cheers,
  Albert