Web lists-archives.com

Re: appstream icons and the hicolor madness we have in KDE software

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hola,
>
> For the longest time I was annoyed by dolphin having a fishy icon in
> discover, which as it turns out is because it uses a default icon name
> so it gets a silly icon from a silly theme as appstream has no proper
> way of handling this.
>
> BUT
>
> That lead me to notice that there is branding identity problem with
> how most of our apps handle icons.
> Our applications for the most part assume the default icon theme as
> their icon, so discover's icon is the current breeze icon, kmail's
> icon is the current breeze icon and so on and so forth. The problem is
> that during oxygen times we did that explicitly (application icons
> were to a large part maintained in the application repositories) form
> which we moved away with breeze (application icons are only maintained
> in the theme repository).
>
> This leads to two problems:
>
> 1) Applications that are old enough to have been around in oxygen
> times now install a oxygen-style hicolor icon (e.g. kmail here [1],
> kwalletmanager [2]) and I suspect most authors are even unaware of
> this.
>
> 2) Unless we move maintenance out-of-theme (which is not going to
> happen FWIW) there is no straight forward way I can find to get the
> apps to use their intended default icon as per breeze without having
> everyone copy the icon from breeze and then not get updates in case we
> update the icon in the theme.
>
> Thought everyone should know, and maybe someone can find solutions :/
>
> 2 probably ought to be dealt with before 1, at which point we probably
> can use build.kde.org to do automated detection of icon origins by
> doing pixmap comparision?
> Dealing with the second problem is the somewhat greater and more
> annoying problem. A possibly approach I could think of is make
> breeze-icons an actual build-time dependency and have an ECM macro
> that picks an icon from breeze an installs it into hicolor. I am not
> sure that is all too lovely though.
>
> [1] https://github.com/KDE/kdepim/blob/master/kmail/src/icons/64-apps-kmail.png
> [2] https://github.com/KDE/kwalletmanager/blob/master/src/manager/64-apps-kwalletmanager.png
>
> HS

For completion, this was already detected by Thomas:
https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/33
https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/issues/97

We started looking into how to make sure we get applications to use
the correct theme on db build time.

I'd say we probably want to have a mixed approach after all.

Aleix