Web lists-archives.com

Re: Should kwalletd be automatically started

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Valerio Pachera <sirio81@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all, I need to understand if a problem I encountered with
> owncloud-client is related to kde, the library qtkeychain or kde
> itself.
>
> Once kde is started, owcnloud isn't able to cominicate with kwalletd
> because the process is not running.
> If start kwalletd first, it works.
>
> I reported this bug to owncloud developers and we wonder if kwalletd
> should be started by kde itself.
> https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/4601#issuecomment-200356088
>
> Or if the library qkeychain should takekare of it.

kwalletd is started on-demand through dbus activation [1] when one
tries to use the org.kde.kwalletd(5) bus name. If it is not started
dbus is not set up correctly or the service files are missing or
qtkeychain manages to somehow not trigger dbus activation.

$ ls -l /usr/share/dbus-1/services/*kwallet*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  63 Okt 21 11:01
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kwalletd5.service
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 300 Okt  5 10:25
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kwalletd.service

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntroductionToDBus/#activation