Web lists-archives.com

KDE Wiki Organisation

I'm sure many of you have noticed that the TechBase and Community wikis have become a bit of a wilderness of outdated and hard-to-navigate information. On top of that, the line between TechBase and Community is rather blurred.

At the CERN-based sprint, some of us have been working on this.

Firstly, where is the line between the wikis? The new world (I mean, wiki) order is:

- TechBase contains information for downstream developers of a product. Think of it as UserBase for developers. That means that if you're writing documentation, tutorials etc aimed at people using a library, writing plugins or using other APIs, it should go on TechBase. For example: how to use the Marble library to include a map in your app, or how to write a Plasmoid, or how to use a DBus interface to control KMail.

- Community is anything aimed at ourselves (the KDE community). So this includes the sort of team scratchpad stuff we've all be using it for, as well as documentation about integrating a project into the KDE infrastructure, community and infrastructure rules and conventions, introductions for new community members and so on.

- UserBase is, as it always was, end-user documentation.

The biggest impact of this is that things like the Policies and Schedules[0] are being moved to Community (of course, the old pages will remain, but will be replaced with links to the new ones).

We have outlines of how the wikis will be laid out internally, which will be documented in Help:Structure pages on the wikis. Community won't change much, other than gaining some new top-level sections from TechBase. TechBase will change substantially, becoming more product-based, so you can easily search for information on Frameworks, or Plasma, or Marble, or what have you, and kdelibs4-based information can be kept with a clear separation from Frameworks, for example.

Do join us on #kde-www if you want to help out. We certainly won't have finished by the end of the week; there is a lot of work to do.

Alex

[0]: You may be thinking about Schedules that it's also important to packagers, but it's primarily a community organisation thing.