Web lists-archives.com

Re: Tutorial for writing widgets in Gtk3

I’ll second this. Gtk is complex, with three layers (gtk, gdk, g). Then there are separate pieces like pango and Cairo. It’s not obvious how it all fits together and a slew of depreciation makes it hard to untangle.

What’s needed is a full blooded example. Start from main and show a pure gtk+3 app that takes button press, mouse moves, text entry and keystrokes, and uses them to update labels with different markup options. Throw in a clock display to show timers. Use multiple threads to show how to add idle functions. Use css.

It’s easier to grab a generic, fully featured example and cut it down than start with disjoint pieces. But I didn’t find one.