Web lists-archives.com

Re: What to use on GTK+3




Hi,

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
<hackedbellini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 1:46 AM Daniel Kasak <d.j.kasak.dk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> No no no. Everybody is wrong. What we need is:
>>
>> [ Actually, now that I come to think about it, this is not the action
>> I would like to take at this time. Thankyou all the same]
>> [ This is precisely the action that I require, and I thank you for the
>> explicit dialog and verbose text in the buttons; it really makes sure
>> I know what it about to happen, and possibly makes the rest of the
>> text of the dialog redundant, but hey, at least there is zero scope
>> for confusion]
>
>
> The whole point here is to _be redundant_. Why? For some reasons, but a
> major one is: Users don't read dialogs!

Why people think this? Was there a statistical analysis about it?
How many people do read them comparing to how many people don't?

Where can I see it? And who did it?

Thank you.

>
> By having verbose options instead of boolean answers, it is less likely that
> the user will choose the first option just because he thinks it is the one
> he needs.
>
>>
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> >> However, in relation to Igor's original point, giving the user options
>> >> of
>> >> Yes/No is IMO fine if your dialog asks a short, simple question that
>> >> requires an answer of Yes or No. As in
>> >>
>> >> Overwrite <filename>? Yes/No
>> >> Send message? Yes/No
>> >> Really delete X? Yes/No
>> >>
>> >> One could rephrase these messages as something other than Yes/No
>> >> questions
>> >> but would that actually be clearer? I doubt it.
>> >
>> > I think you're wrong. Each one of these can be converted into a dialog
>> > of the following general form:
>> >
>> >       Need confirmation to carry out potentially significant action
>> >
>> >         [ Do not take this action ]    [ Take this action ]
>> >
>> >
>> > A specific case may help
>> >
>> >
>> >       Overwriting this file may cause data loss
>> >
>> >        [ Do not overwrite the file ]   [ Overwrite the file ]
>> >
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> >       Once your message is sent, you cannot delete it.
>> >
>> >        [ Do not send this message]  [ Send this message]
>> >
>> >
>> > Both these examples are clearer, because they explain what is at stake.
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > gtk-list mailing list
>> > gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx
>> > https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list
>> _______________________________________________
>> gtk-list mailing list
>> gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx
>> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list
>
> --
> Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
> http://hackedbellini.org
>
> “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” - Confucius
>
> _______________________________________________
> gtk-list mailing list
> gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list
>
_______________________________________________
gtk-list mailing list
gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list