Web lists-archives.com

Re: Project rename to "GTK"

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:23 AM Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 5:04 AM Emmanuele Bassi via gtk-devel-list
> <gtk-devel-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all;
> >
> > tl;dr: GTK is GTK, not GTK+. The documentation has been updated, and the pkg-config file for the future 4.0 major release is now called "gtk4"
> >
> > over the years, we had discussions about removing the "+" from the project name. The "plus" was added to "GTK" once it was moved out of the GIMP sources tree and the project gained utilities like GLib and the GTK type system, in order to distinguish it from the previous, in-tree version. Very few people are aware of this history, and it's kind of confusing from the perspective of both newcomers and even expert users; people join the wrong IRC channel, the URLs on wikis are fairly ugly, etc.
>
> Thanks for moving this along! It's good to see the GTK name finally
> get less confusing and easier to talk about!
>
> But to clarify the history, the "+" predates the point when GTK was
> moved out of the GIMP tree. Every single version of GTK with publicly
> released sources was called GTK+. As I understand it, Peter Mattis
> added the + to mark a change from a very early version that was
> structured more like Xt/Motif, to a version that had a fuller type
> system with inheritance.

To add a little more to this - Elijah Lynn pointed me to an answer he
obtained from Peter on the subject - see
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/443832/27902 -

    GTK was the first version of the toolkit used in pre-1.0 versions
of the GIMP.
    At some point, the architectural limitations were revealed and I rewrote and
   renamed it as GTK+. This too was used in pre-1.0 versions of the GIMP.
   I don't believe any project outside of the GIMP used GTK-(no-plus).
   Why a "+" instead of a version number? No reason other than whim.
   ~ Peter Mattis