Web lists-archives.com

Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

>  - Hyperkitty's UX is confusing, cluttered to the point of being unhelpful

Would benefit from examples of clutter. Opened home page, saw lists. Opened list, saw threads. Opened thread, saw replies and a new reply link. And some buttons for permalink, rating, archive and stats. Basic features.

If by cluttered you mean excessive borders and backgrounds, it's CSS and I'll gladly patch to reduce these if you'd like.

>  - navigating through recent discussions never makes it clear which emails are newer, and the fake threading makes it visually harder to scan

Just click "Show replies by date".

>  - searching is a disaster, with results returned without any sense of what's relevant or not

Good point, though I don't know whether Discourse is better at this, and general purpose web indexing tools should work fine with HyperKitty as it outputs HTML unlike Discourse.

>  - mobile access is pretty much not supported

Fedora mailing lists have a great responsive version, I have them open on a phone right now and their scripts work even on old WebKit. Meanwhile Discourse in the next tab loads a blank screen.

>  - it's all just a front to a mailman, instead of being a whole packaged software; this means:
>   - harder to set up and upgrade

Please elaborate, what I see in docs about setup is easier than GitLab and other tools GNOME already deploys.

>   - no moderation tools

Yes, lack of moderation tools is a valid issue.

>   - no categories, sub-categories, or tagging to organise email

Why would a list of 100 monthly emails need sub-categories and tags? For newcomers that's even more fragmented nesting and thus confusion.

>   - no integration with services or additional plugins

It's email, lots of software can send notifications. Additional plugins and integrations are a maintenance burden and thus invalidate your previous points about ease of setup and one single package.