Web lists-archives.com

Re: First deprecate APIs and then remove them in the next major version

On 23 December 2017 at 13:47, Salvatore De Paolis <iwkse-ml@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:08:46 -0800
> Christian Hergert <christian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ardour could never move to Gtk3 because a number of VST plugins use Gtk2
>> and you cannot mix both into the same process space. DAW authors will
>> often cite the necessity for plugins to be in process to allow for a
>> large number of tracks/plugins due to context switching. (This is a
>> contributing factor to why many DAWs write their own UI toolkits).
>> As for GIMP, I think the lesson I take away is that we need to recruit
>> people to go do the ports for important projects rather than expect them
>> to track us. Red Hat has shown that this strategy works in both Firefox
>> and LibreOffice (which are arguably the two hardest applications to port).
> http://libremusicproduction.com/news/20171221-lsp-plugins-version-110-released-farewall-gtk

Unsurprisingly, considering that the whole UI is completely custom and
using a generic desktop toolkit would have made their lives miserable.

> I wonder why GTK+ has not been forked yet.

I wonder why you don't keep this kind of statements for yourself; in
any case, feel free to fork GTK and figure how why nobody does that.

[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]
gtk-devel-list mailing list