GTK+ 3.20.0 is now available for download at:
What is GTK+
GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.
Offering a comprehensive set of widgets as well as facilities for creating
your own widgets, GTK+ is suitable for projects ranging from small one-off
tools to complete application suites.
GTK+ has been designed from the ground up to support a range of languages,
(especially in combination with gobject-introspection and the Glade GUI builder)
provides an effective method of rapid application development.
GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the licensing terms
for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all developers, including those
developing proprietary software, without any license fees or royalties.
Since its origins as the toolkit for the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP),
GTK+ has been used in a wide range of software. Notably, GTK+ is the foundation
of the GNOME desktop.
What's new in 3.20
Major new features include:
* The CSS machinery now uses element names for widgets and their components
* CSS margins, borders, padding and min-width and min-height are now much more
* CSS features that have been added: radial gradients, recoloring symbolic
icons, image(), calc(), rem
* Help overlays to document keyboard shortcuts and gestures
* GTK+ now reads .XCompose files
* GTK+ can use native file choosers on Windows
* A HighContrastInverse theme has been added
* The Wayland backend has full support for DND, kinetic scrolling, startup
notification, primary selection, presenting windows, bell.
* Deprecations and removals: Style properties, testing infrastructure,
geometry support in window sizing, GdkDeviceManager,
For more details and lists of fixed bugs, see the NEWS file that is
included in the tarball, or see:
For concerns about porting from older GTK+ releases, see the README file
that is included in the tarball, or see:
Where to get more information about GTK+
Information about GTK+ including links to documentation can be found at:
An installation guide for GTK+ is found at:
GTK+ is a large project and relies on voluntary contributions. We are actively
searching for new contributors in various areas and invite everyone to help
project development. If you are willing to participate, please subscribe to
the project mailing lists to offer your help and read over our list of vacant
Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release in the form of bug
reports, patches and translations.
March 21, 2016
gtk-devel-list mailing list