Web lists-archives.com

Re: Broken 'C' compilation when building from Master with MSVC

On 3 Nov 2015, at 11:50, Simon McVittie wrote:

> Perhaps the "inline" stuff should move to gtypes.h, or somewhere even
> lower-level, like glibconfig.h?

As an experiment, I tried moving the inline stuff out of gutils.h and straight into gtypes.h (at line 391 - immediately before those newly added functions).  As far as MSVC was concerned it was perfectly happy - no other changes were needed.  But I guess there could (potentially) be knock-on effects for other compilers (unlikely perhaps - but non-msvc builds would definitely need to get tested).  Hopefully though, there wouldn't be any issues for user apps because the very first thing gutils.h does is to #include gtypes.h !!

This idea does seem like a good compromise to me and it does work for MSVC.  It'll get my vote if the other compilers are happy too.  I can produce a patch if anyone wants to test it with gcc etc.

John