Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Discuss] Make a thinner Glib/GTK+ to fit tiny device better

Hi;

On 16 October 2015 at 18:20, cee1 <fykcee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:38 PM, cee1 <fykcee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If yes, we may let GObject inherit from
>>> GstMiniObject to obtain the COW feature?
>>
>> This would break ABI, so not something you should expect any time soon.
>
> So what about GObject2(a bit likes playbin2 in GStreamer)? Code can
> change to inherit from it and recompiling...

What would be the point, if everything that currently depends on
GObject still has to depend on GObject?

That's the reason why we don't break GLib's ABI: not because we don't
want, but because then *everything* that depends on GLib would need to
break API/ABI. If you introduce a new type, you won't get any benefit
unless you also port everything to it — which nullifies the benefit of
introducing a new type without breaking ABI in the first place.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io