Web lists-archives.com

Re: Should we drop XP?

On 01.04.2015 11:06, Christian Hergert wrote:
> On 04/01/2015 12:47 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>> On ons, 2015-04-01 at 09:46 +0200, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro wrote:
>>> well one of the reasons is that we are patching downstream in this
>>> ways (it can be fixed though)
>>> https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-glib2/0027-no_sys_if_nametoindex.patch
>>>

>>> and afaik fan or lrn had some ideas to improve some parts of the code
>>> once xp is dropped
>>
>> Sounds like its time to drop it then!
>
> I know this is *slightly* off topic, but can we consider dropping GSlice
> too? Last I asked around it sounded like it was required on Windows for
> older systems that had an atrocious malloc implementation.
>
> On a modern GNU/Linux, glibc's malloc uses both less memory than GSlice
> and is significantly faster (and doesn't screw up gdb). I did a bunch of
> benchmarks[1] on this last year at the Berlin hackfest.
>
> I'd love to hear from the GStreamer folks on all of this anyway, since I
> believe they are likely the heaviest user of GLib+win32.
>

> [1] https://github.com/chergert/alloctest

heftig:	 LRN: ran it: http://pkgbuild.com/~heftig/alloctest/
heftig:	 (had no tcmalloc-minimal, so used jemalloc)
LRN:	 um...wonderful, only i have no idea what this all means
heftig:	 gslice is faster than gmalloc and does not use more memory, either
heftig:	 in contrast to what the mail claims
heftig:	 both are beat by jemalloc, though
__tim:	 heftig, on which windows version? how much faster?
heftig:	 __tim: the mail talks about testing gslice on linux, not windows
__tim:	 right
__tim:	 oh of course, it says so at the bottom of your site as well

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org