Web lists-archives.com

Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 10:07:56AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> GTK3's CSS styling feature is a huge draw for many developers. Being able
> to take an understanding of themeing based on web development and apply it
> to native applications is really a very very nice feature. I would have
> talked at greater length about that rather than GObject, since many
> developers using any language binding stand to benefit from CSS themeing,
> versus the few who might one day use a little bit of GObject.

I personally use more often GObject features than CSS. CSS is more for
theme authors, not application authors. A small GTK+ app doesn't really
need CSS, the available GTK+ widgets are sufficient and have a decent
theme with Adwaita.

> I would cite some of the more unique widgets in GTK also, especially the
> newer ones that might not be known by people familiar only with GTK1 and
> GTK2.

To better understand widgets, screenshots are needed, and a flyer is too
small for screenshots (at least the three-folded A4 page).

As you said, two A4 pages are not enough for describing every
interesting features. Nothing prevents us from writing a brochure about
GTK+ only, and another brochure about lower-level libraries, but it'd
become maybe a bit too much content (that said, the FreeBSD stand has
almost 10 different flyers! And in different languages).

Sébastien