Web lists-archives.com

Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:29:02 +0100
Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, for a small application it's another possible code architecture.
> But I would still recommend to write C code in object oriented style
> (if the C language has been chosen).

Just to be clear, I completely disagree.  Whether to use GObject-style
OO has almost nothing to do with application size.  The GTK+ library is
generally well enough designed to render the derivation of custom
widgets unnecessary in almost all cases.  The unnecessary use of GObject
derivation is as much an affectation as anything else.

The OO fad of the 1990s is now well over.  We now have the functional
fad (and as it happens GTK+ has bindings for most functional languages).
The truth, as always, lies somewhere in between.

Chris