Web lists-archives.com

Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:39:17AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Event loop programming is simultaneously completely fundamental to all
> user-interactive software, and as such ought to require no introduction at
> all, but as you note it is (pathetically) lacking from the education
> experienced by many in the field. If you're going to draw an event loop
> then I think you want to capture something a bit less abstract than what
> you have.
>
>      Events (keyboard,mouse,touch,network,serial,other data sources) =>
> application response (computation, communication, request drawing changes)
> => redraw => REPEAT
>
> That's the actual useful event loop.

Yeah, the GMainContext state diagram is a bit abstract without more
explanation. So I've replaced it by another schema, which is really
straightforward to understand now.

The "redraw" part is specific to GTK+ or a graphical application, so
it's better to not mention it in the GLib section. I explain a bit later
that it can be used to write daemons.

Thanks for your feedback,
Sébastien