Web lists-archives.com

Re: File monitor rewrite: Solaris (and other) help wanted

hi,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 18:14, Christian Hergert wrote:
> I quickly read over the relevant commit message. I didn't see anything
> alluding to the goal of the patch set. I'm sure there is a goal you have
> in mind?
>
> Overhead reduction, performance related I assume?

Thread safety -- file and mount monitors are currently known to be
crash-prone due to races.

This has become particularly problematic since GDesktopAppInfo started
using them from the GLib worker thread to watch for changes to desktop
files.

Due to the inotify-kernel changes on that branch, however, one measure
of performance is definitely improved: file notifications will now
arrive immediately, instead of after a hardwired delay.

Cheers