Web lists-archives.com

Re: a new combo box

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cosimo talks about GtkPopover and GtkMenu, but those just sort of have me stunned. Why should I use one instead of the other?

I doubt application authors choose which widget to use by reading type names in API references;

Assuming that questions on Stack Overflow are an approximate poll of what application authors do - many application authors go to the documentation and do exactly that. (And often don't bother to read any further - I've often enough seen questions about a deprecated widget such as GtkList which was selected purely based on its name.)

if you're following a style guide like the HIG, the recommendation will come from there.
Other times you will want a widget that looks/works like one you've seen elsewhere, and the visual/behavioral difference will make it obvious why there are two different classes.

This also happens, though - people will post a screenshot and say "What is this widget?" We could make the Widget Gallery page more discoverable in the documentation in order to encourage this.

--
Philip