git blame doesn't respect diff algorithm?
- Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 11:19:17 +0200
- From: Pierre Ossman <ossman@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: git blame doesn't respect diff algorithm?
It seems like there is a bug in git blame where it doesn't respect the
diff algorithm setting. It happily parses it on the command line, but
there is no change to the output.
The problem materialises in that git blame will claim a line comes from
a certain commit. But when I do "git show --patience" on that commit,
the relevant line was not changed.
I could not find anything about this on the mailing list, so is this a
previously overlooked issue?
If you want to test it for your self, then do:
1. Clone tigervnc's git repo
2. git blame --patience vncviewer/DesktopWindow.cxx
3. Check line 906, it should say 7e546feba
4. git show --patience 7e546feba
This was with git-2.20.1-1.fc29.x86_64.
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com
Teknikringen 8 https://twitter.com/ThinLinc
583 30 Linköping https://facebook.com/ThinLinc
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?