Re: Typo in the .gitignore docs?
- Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 17:04:03 +0700
- From: Duy Nguyen <pclouds@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Typo in the .gitignore docs?
On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM Duy Nguyen <pclouds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The "does not contain" is correct, but perhaps the wording is a bit
> too easy to misunderstand. If you go back to the original version of
> this document in cedb8d5d33 (Create a new manpage for the gitignore
> format, and reference it elsewhere, 2007-06-02),
> I think the part that trips people is the 'pathname' in 'checks for a
> match against the pathname relative...'. I think the key point is
> matching the pattern against any pathname _component_ in the path
> relative to the location of .gitignore.
The desscription before cedb8d5d33 (in git-ls-files.txt) uses
_filename_ instead of pathname, which is probably clearer:
- - if it does not contain a slash '/', it is a shell glob
- pattern and used to match against the filename without
- leading directories.