Re: [PATCH 0/4] A few Asciidoctor-fixes
- Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:44:58 -0500
- From: Jeff King <peff@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] A few Asciidoctor-fixes
On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 12:27:38PM +0100, Martin Ågren wrote:
> I have (ab)used doc-diff to try to find instances where Asciidoctor and
> Asciidoc render our documentation differently. (See  for details on
> the hack.) This series fixes the differences that somehow stood out in
> the diff. Many smaller differences remain.
I think the relevant bits from  are:
* Use `make --always-make ... install-man` in doc-diff.
* ./doc-diff -f HEAD HEAD # note -f
* Add empty commit and tweak config.mak
* ./doc-diff HEAD^ HEAD # note no -f
To make this easier, it would make sense to me to:
- teach doc-diff a flag for marking one or both of the endpoints to be
built with asciidoctor versus asciidoc
- mark the asciidoc/asciidoctor in the directory name. That name
serves as a cache key for avoiding re-doing the work, you should be
able to just:
./doc-diff --asciidoctor HEAD HEAD
and actually build and compare what you want.
- it sounds from "make --always-make" that our Makefile does not
properly rebuild when we switch from asciidoc to asciidoctor. That
might be nice to fix with a mechanism similar to the GIT-BUILD-FLAGS
we use in the top-level Makefile.