[PATCH v2 0/2] Fix scissors bug during merge conflict
- Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:19:01 -0500
- From: Denton Liu <liu.denton@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] Fix scissors bug during merge conflict
Thanks for your feedback, Junio.
I tried to reroll the patch by adding another option into the MERGE_MODE
file but unfortunately, it didn't work completely because doing `merge
--squash` doesn't produce a MERGE_MODE. In addition to this, because of
the way merge and commit were structured, I needed to reorder a lot of
calls because some variables were only being set after I needed them.
Unless we want to produce a MERGE_MODE during --squash (which I don't
think is worth it) I don't think that this is the way to go.
Instead, I just refined my first approach and only checked the contents
of MERGE_MSG for a scissors line. The MERGE_MSG is going to be
machine-generated anyway so we should be safe from accidentally ignoring
a human-placed scissors line.
Changes since V1:
* Only check MERGE_MSG for a scissors line instead of all prepended files
* Make a variable static in merge where appropriate
* Add passthrough options in pull
* Add documentation for the new option
* Add tests to ensure desired behaviour
Denton Liu (2):
commit: don't add scissors line if one exists
merge: add scissors line on merge conflict
Documentation/merge-options.txt | 6 +++++
builtin/commit.c | 15 +++++++++--
builtin/merge.c | 16 +++++++++++
builtin/pull.c | 6 +++++
t/t7600-merge.sh | 48 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
5 files changed, 89 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)