Re: [PATCH] specify encoding for sed command
- Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 08:53:28 +0200
- From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] specify encoding for sed command
On Thu, Apr 05 2018, Stephon Harris wrote:
> Fixes issue with seeing `sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence` when running git-completion.bash
> contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 2 +-
> 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
> diff --git a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> index b09c8a23626b4..52a4ab5e2165a 100644
> --- a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> +++ b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
> @@ -282,7 +282,7 @@ __gitcomp ()
> # Clear the variables caching builtins' options when (re-)sourcing
> # the completion script.
> -unset $(set |sed -ne 's/^\(__gitcomp_builtin_[a-zA-Z0-9_][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\)=.*/\1/p') 2>/dev/null
> +unset $(set |LANG=C sed -ne 's/^\(__gitcomp_builtin_[a-zA-Z0-9_][a-zA-Z0-9_]*\)=.*/\1/p') 2>/dev/null
This is getting closer to the issue than your previous patch, but
there's still some open questions:
1) What platform OS / version / sed version is this on?
2) What's the output from "set" that's causing this error? Do we have an
isolated test case for that?
3) There's other invocations of "sed" in the file, aren't those affected
4) Any reason we wouldn't just set LC_AlL=C for the whole file? I see we
already do it for our invocation to "git merge".