[PATCH v5 0/3] RUNTIME_PREFIX relocatable Git
- Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:56:10 -0500
- From: Dan Jacques <dnj@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [PATCH v5 0/3] RUNTIME_PREFIX relocatable Git
This patch set expands support for the RUNTIME_PREFIX configuration flag,
currently only used on Windows builds, to include Linux, Darwin, and
FreeBSD. When Git is built with RUNTIME_PREFIX enabled, it resolves its
ancillary paths relative to the runtime location of its executable
rather than hard-coding them at compile-time, allowing a Git
installation to be deployed to a path other than the one in which it
Note that RUNTIME_PREFIX is not currently used outside of Windows.
This patch set should not have an impact on default Git builds.
I'm uploading an updated patch set now that avarab@'s Perl Makefile
simplification patch set has advanced and seems to be stable. Please take
a look and let me know what you think!
Changes in v5 from v4:
- Rebase on top of "next", notably incorporating the
- Cleaner Makefile relative path enforcement.
- Update Perl header template path now that the "perl/" directory has
fewer build-related files in it.
- Update Perl runtime prefix header to use a general system path resolution
- Implemented the injection of the locale directory into Perl's
"Git/I18N.pm" module from the runtime prefix Perl script header.
- Updated Perl's "Git/I18N.pm" module to accept injected locale directory.
- Added more content to some comments.
=== Testing ===
The latest patch set is available for testing on my GitHub fork, including
"travis.ci" testing. The "runtime-prefix" branch includes a "config.mak"
commit that enables runtime prefix for the Travis build; the
"runtime-prefix-no-config" omits this file, testing this patch without
runtime prefix enabled:
Built/tested locally using this "config.mak" w/ autoconf:
=== Example config.mak ===
## (BEGIN config.mak)
RUNTIME_PREFIX = YesPlease
RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL = YesPlease
gitexecdir = libexec/git-core
template_dir = share/git-core/templates
sysconfdir = etc
## (END config.mak)
=== Revision History ===
Changes in v4 from v3:
- Incorporated some quoting and Makefile dependency fixes, courtesy of
Changes in v3 from v2:
- Broken into multiple patches now that Perl is isolated in its own
- Working with avarab@, several changes to Perl script runtime prefix
- Moved Perl header body content from Makefile into external template
- Added generic "perllibdir" variable to override Perl installation
- RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL generated script header is more descriptive and
consistent with how the C version operates.
- Fixed Generated Perl header Makefile dependency, should rebuild
when dependent files and flags change.
- Changed some of the new RUNTIME_PREFIX trace strings to use consistent
formatting and terminology.
Changes in v2 from v1:
- Added comments and formatting to improve readability of
platform-sepecific executable path resolution sleds in
- Consolidated "cached_exec_path" and "argv_exec_path" globals
- Use `strbuf_realpath` instead of `realpath` for procfs resolution.
- Removed new environment variable exports. Git with RUNTIME_PREFIX no
longer exports or consumes any additional environment information.
- Updated Perl script resolution strategy: rather than having Git export
the relative executable path to the Perl scripts, they now resolve
it independently when RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL is enabled.
- Updated resolution strategy for "gettext()": use system_path() instead
of special environment variable.
- Added `sysctl` executable resolution support for BSDs that don't
mount "procfs" by default (most of them).
Dan Jacques (3):
Makefile: generate Perl header from template file
Makefile: add Perl runtime prefix support
exec_cmd: RUNTIME_PREFIX on some POSIX systems
.gitignore | 1 +
Makefile | 114 +++++++++--
cache.h | 1 +
common-main.c | 4 +-
config.mak.uname | 7 +
exec_cmd.c | 241 ++++++++++++++++++++---
exec_cmd.h | 4 +-
gettext.c | 8 +-
git.c | 2 +-
perl/Git/I18N.pm | 2 +-
perl/header_templates/fixed_prefix.template.pl | 1 +
perl/header_templates/runtime_prefix.template.pl | 32 +++
12 files changed, 364 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 perl/header_templates/fixed_prefix.template.pl
create mode 100644 perl/header_templates/runtime_prefix.template.pl