Re: Can't squash merge with merge.ff set to false
- Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:11:31 -0800
- From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Can't squash merge with merge.ff set to false
Robert Dailey wrote:
> Not sure if this is intended or a bug, but with the following configuration:
> $ git config --global merge.ff false
> I am not able to merge my topic branch into master with squash option:
> $ git checkout master
> $ git merge --squash topic
> fatal: You cannot combine --squash with --no-ff.
I see two issues here:
1. The check and error message really only make sense when you passed
--no-ff directly, not implicitly using config. The problem you
are running into was presumably introduced when merge.ff was added
in v1.7.6-rc0~67^2~1 (2011-05-06).
2. Whether it comes from an alias or config, --no-ff and --squash are
not fundamentally incompatible. --no-ff says not to do something
and --squash says to do a different thing, so --squash should win.
So I suspect that making --squash override --no-ff would be a
Care to write a patch?