Re: [PATCH 1/3] checkout: describe_detached_head: remove 3dots after committish
- Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 00:30:13 -0000
- From: "Philip Oakley" <philipoakley@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] checkout: describe_detached_head: remove 3dots after committish
From: "Junio C Hamano" <gitster@xxxxxxxxx>
Ann T Ropea <bedhanger@xxxxxx> writes:
This could be confusing not only for novices; in either case, no range
should be insinuated by describe_detached_head.
We actually do not insinuate any range in these output. These dots
denote "truncated at the end, instead of giving full length."
Another place these "many dots" appear is "git diff --raw", for
<bikeshed> The fancy word for the three dots is an `ellipsis`
- the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are
superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues.
- from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling
The user/reader confusion may still be there though.