Re: reftable [v6]: new ref storage format
- Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 03:28:59 -0400
- From: Jeff King <peff@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: reftable [v6]: new ref storage format
On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 06:47:06PM -0700, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Changes from v5:
> - extensions.refStorage = reftable is used to select this format.
Thanks, I think this is a better scheme going forward. Just a few notes
on compatibility while I'm thinking about it:
- existing versions will complain that they don't know what the
"refStorage" extension is
- presumably we'd add new code that recognizes the extension, and then
makes sure the value is something we understand.
- then we'd finally mark "reftable" as understood once we had an
implementation. We _could_ then also check other config (like
"reftable.*") and complain about unknown keys. But I think we could
declare any such keys as optional, and just rely on the version
number inside the reftable file for parsing it.