[PATCH] Documentation/git-checkout: make doc. of checkout <tree-ish> clearer
- Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 22:17:15 +0200
- From: Christoph Michelbach <michelbach94@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [PATCH] Documentation/git-checkout: make doc. of checkout <tree-ish> clearer
While technically in the documentation, the fact that changes
introduced by a checkout <tree-ish> are staged automatically, was
not obvious when reading its documentation. It is now specifically
Signed-off-by: Christoph Michelbach <michelbach94@xxxxxxxxx>
Documentation/git-checkout.txt | 7 ++++---
1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
diff --git a/Documentation/git-checkout.txt b/Documentation/git-checkout.txt
index 8e2c066..cfd7b18 100644
@@ -85,9 +85,10 @@ Omitting <branch> detaches HEAD at the tip of the current branch.
from the index file or from a named <tree-ish> (most often a
commit). In this case, the `-b` and `--track` options are
meaningless and giving either of them results in an error. The
- <tree-ish> argument can be used to specify a specific tree-ish
- (i.e. commit, tag or tree) to update the index for the given
- paths before updating the working tree.
+ <tree-ish> argument can be used to specify the tree-ish (i.e.
+ commit, tag, or tree) to update the index to for the given paths
+ before updating the working tree accordingly. Note that this means
+ that the changes this command introduces are staged automatically.
'git checkout' with <paths> or `--patch` is used to restore modified or
deleted paths to their original contents from the index or replace paths